BACP (British Association of Counsellors and Psychotherapists) and adhere to their code of ethics.
Jane Gore: Abuse Counselling
It affects women, children, the family and the community. And it has big personal, social and economic effects.
Effects on the victim
1) Death, illness, injury and disability — domestic and family violence is the leading cause of death, illness and disability for women aged under 45
2) Emotional and psychological trauma — the devastating impact on an individual’s physical, mental and emotional health including depression, shame, anger and suicide
3) Homelessness — nearly one-third of people in the UK seeking help for homelessness services say domestic and family violence is an issue
4) Use of alcohol and other drugs to deal with the pain
5) Physical health injuries and problems, which may not get medically treated